March 12, 2009

Washington D.C. February 28

Will & Jonah & I spent Friday and Saturday with Lis and Scott and Brooklyn and Andy. It was so fun to catch up with them. Brooklyn was sad that Bridget couldn't come and bring her Ruthie doll to play with Kit. But she informed me that I could have brought Ruthie with me!! Something I hadn't thought of. I can see me now; with Jonah strapped to the front of me, overpacked diaper bag slung over one shoulder, Will's overpacked backpack slung over the other shoulder (too heavy for Will) and Ruthie tucked under one arm! Brooklyn and Will actually sprouted a cute little friendship while we were together so I'm glad he came.

Friday Night Lis made some awesome sandwiches which I'll post the recipe of once I get it. We were very inventive and made our own panini press with an unsuspecting pot. Then we sat and visited until late, catching up! It was great.

Saturday morning we met Megan for a yummy breakfast at the Eastern market. The french toast was heavenly! The market was located on Capital Hill and I just loved the charm of the old buildings and homes. I couldn't help but want to strap on my running shoes and join the endless runners that were out training for the upcoming marathon!

Because the day was so cold we did a "Drive-by" of the National Mall Monuments. While Jonah slept in the car, Lis drove us to a spot and Will, Brookie and I would hop out and run up to see it.

Here are the pictures: View from the Lincoln Memorial
It was so quiet and even reverent in by this statue. Something I hadn't expected but was so glad for. After reading some of the quotes by him I am intrigued to read more of his history.
Awesome!!

Lis and Jonah had a little bonding time in the car...thank-you Lis. We know that Jonah would not have appreciated the cold!
The pathway to the Thomas Jefferson Memorial was made of bricks which stimulated the singing of "Follow the Yellow Brick Road" (although I think we sang "red brick") as we followed it all the way around the building. Since the building was rather large we adjorned our singing to "We're Following the Leader" and back to "Yellow Brick Road" before we arrived at the entrance. The singing kept our minds off of our cold knuckles and noses. We enjoyed the inside portion but when I lead them outside to climb the steps to the top Brookie was quite sure that was not where we wanted to go. I loved the statue of Jefferson and all the quotes by him engraven on the walls. Again the feeling was so respectful in there. I loved it.

The steps to the Capitol Building were blocked off...BUT...there was a large, sprawling cherry tree not far from the fence wearing a sign that said, "I'm so fun to climb" (O.K. maybe the sign said that it was a yoshiko (?) cherry tree) We decided it was our ticket to a closer look. Will and Brooklyn were great little climbers and found that it was indeed a pleasant climb!

6 comments:

Brandon Bridge said...

How fun! So did you decide on a color of paint for your entryway shelf and bench?

Katie said...

Great pics Julie.

Lis said...

Fun pics!!! I'll have to have you email some to me! :) We miss you guys!

Teri said...

What a fun trip for you guys. Lucky you! Hey, I love the song on your blog. I've heard it before on a movie, but I cant remember which one??

Jacklyn said...

It looks like you had so much fun I am jealous. We want to make it out there some time

Max said...

Wow, it just hit me how you are truly a full fledged American. Worse things could happen, I guess I married one too. I never realized old Abe was so big, crazy.